Sunday, February 20, 2011

statia

we are moving here!!!


you'd think i was joking, but i'm serious as salt. crazy eh!?! our flights are booked for may 3rd, and we will be living it up on the beach of sint eustatius for the next 20 months! let me go back a few weeks here.....


just over a month ago, we were watching grey's anatomy, and i randomly commented to dust that he would make a great doctor. i then continued to make sure that he knew that i would support him in anything he ever did and that i believed in him. it was really quite random, and i thought absolutely nothing of it at the time. little did i know, it resonated with dust, and he was on the phone with randal cooper a few days later. randal recently sold his chiropractic practice and is now attending medical school on statia (as we've come to call it around here).


from that moment on, there has been a lot of talking, praying, templing, researching, etc, and to make a long story short, we weighed the pros and cons and more importantly, paid attention to the little promptings and assurances that the Spirit offered, and dust withdrew from chiro school and starts medical school on may 9th! we're not sure which one of those little houses will be ours yet, but hopefully the details will keep falling into place for us :)


it has been a CRAZY little month to say the least! i feel like we've been on a roller coaster ride, and it seems to be slowing down, but i think i still might feel a little light headed. i'm scared of the spider/cockroach/strange animals stories. i'm not exactly looking forward to the crazy humid head. i think it's funny that you have to keep your gum in the fridge to keep it from going all gooey and sticky. i can't wait for the laid back island life. i'm a little worried about beckam's transition. i'm going to miss my portland life like crazy. i'm so proud of my husband. i'm sad to leave home for so long. i'm excited for this once in a life time little family adventure, and more than anything, i trust my husband and am so excited of the things he's going to learn and the excitement he feels about his future. i know people will think we're crazy - they already do, and i've even questioned our santiy once or twice, but we know this is the right move, and i'll always stand by dust, and i believe in him with all my heart!


this teeny tiny little island has mountains, a dormant volcano, some gorgeous beaches, an intriguing history and will soon become our home. it's the size of lethbridge with the population of raymond, and we can't wait to watch baby sea turtles hatch and get stuck behind a herd of goats on the way home from the market, and we're just very excited to leave our footprints in the sand on statia! wish us luck and come visit us anytime :)

9 comments:

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

WOW!!!!! I am so glad you wrote about it, because I have been seeing the facebook updates and things and so I knew something was up, but I didn't know what! That sounds like such and adventure! It will be so fun to hear about it and I'm sure an experience you'll always love remembering in the future! Good luck! Can't wait to see and hear more!

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

WOW!!!! Sounds like such a fun and exciting adventure! I am so glad you wrote about this because I had seen the facebook updates, so I knew something was up, but I didn't know what! I can't wait to see and hear more about your experiences! I'm sure it'll be a great experience and that you'll always look back and be so happy you did it!

The Pratts said...

Okay, I've totally been waiting for this post to get the full story...Wow!! I'm sure you're nervous and excited and scared and...everything else all at the same time! Isn't it funny that it all started with Grey's Anatomy? :) Who wouldn't want to go to medical school on a tropical island...and one that is only 20 months??

Lynn said...

It is a little crazy thinking about it but what an opportunity you have jumped into and I'm so happy and so totally proud of Dustin for believing in himself and a wife that also believes in him. That's the biggest hurdle to get over and with each other's support you will survive and excel!!!!! We definitely will miss you but now we just might take a trip to a beautiful island with sand!!!!! Luv you guys!

Becky said...

AHHH! This is hilarious. I saw your blog on Kristin Smith's and was pretty curious about your post title. The second to last picture you posted is actually a picture of the island of Saba, right next to Statia. We just finished up the basic sciences portion of med school on Saba in December. Great decision, if I do say so myself - we finished chiropractic school and started a business before we figured out med school was what we needed to do! Randall Cooper contacted us while we were on Saba. If you want to talk, I'd love to visit with you about life in the Caribbean! 208.529.1731.

Marie said...

I'm with Lindsay: medical school on a tropical island for 20 months? WOW. Do you think if I nudged Dirk a little he'd follow your family's lead and move me down there?

Congrats on the big decision. So amazing.

Christal said...

That is so exciting!! You guys will have so much fun and it will be an awesome adventure and new memories to last a lifetime!!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for your little family!!! This will be such a fantastic move, I am sure. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous.... But now I have an excuse to visit Statia- to see my wonderful cousins. Congrats :)

Linds said...

Good for you! I wish we would have figured all this out sooner like you did. Jared is going back to school too. So here we go again. Good luck in all of your adventures. I can't wait to read all about them.