Wednesday, April 20, 2011

asparagus pee

does your pee stink after you eat asparagus??? cuz mine sure does! dust complains every time he sees me eating this divine vegetable, not only cuz he thinks it looks and smells disgusting but cuz he knows he's got a day or two of asparagus pee coming his way!


it was always so confusing to me, so i've decided to look up the answer to my question of why does asparagus pee stink so bad for all of you devoted tolman blog readers tonight. (if i knew how to spell the sound of a drum, i would!) they say....

Studies conducted on the "asparagus urine" phenomenon (aren't you glad you didn't volunteer!) indicate that roughly 40 to 50 percent of those tested developed the distinctive odor. Surprisingly enough, there is also a segment of the population who cannot smell the sulphurous fumes of asparagus-laced urine. It is believed that both the generation of the odoriferous urine and the ability to smell it are based on genetics. Only those with a certain gene can break down the chemicals inside the asparagus into their smelly components, and only those with the proper gene can smell the results of that chemical breakdown.


so, there you have it! sadly, i've got the stinky asparagus pee gene as well as the gene that allows me to smell it - yay! what about you? does your asparagus pee stink too?!?!

 
Posted by Picasa

i had to add a few pics too, so enjoy some more of my little cuties! aren't those blue eyes to die for!

 

we like to stay clean around here - beckam can't use a dish without putting it straight into the dishwasher when he's done (and yes, i will be reminding him of this when he gets older), and maddox needs daily lint rolls to keep him dog hair free!

 

no wonder we're constantly rolling the hair off him!

 
Posted by Picasa


 

maddox has also developed a love of pepperoni and ice cream - mmmm!
p.s. i'm aware that he's eating ice cream and isn't 1 yet, and i don't really care!

 
Posted by Picasa

happy asparagus everyone!

3 comments:

Daya said...

I don't have asparagus pee but I do get sugar puffs pee. I wonder if it's the same kind of situation. Hmmm...

Lacey said...

Your blog hasn't been showing the updates on my blog and I have missed the last three post! I love those pictures in the tube together and all the cuteness from this blog. Mad dog is getting big so fast! He is looking more and more like a little man and less and less like a baby. I miss them both so much! kept the posts coming I will check them now that I know they are here, LOVE YA!

Linds said...

Nope! I don't have the gene cause my asparagus pee doesn't smell. I get the sugar puffs pee too, Daya.